Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Salsa

First things first: October is National Farm to School month, so keep a lookout for any awesome tidbits and related news.

Second things second, I suppose. I heard the other day that basically all the sugar produced in the United States is GMO sugar, so any processed food you eat that contains sugar (I definitely do!) has GMOs in it. Here I've been avoiding HFCS, which I still believe is important, and I've been led straight into the arms of another agricultural nightmare. Another reason to make more of my own food, I suppose. Although, it sure would be nice if we finally passed a labeling requirement on GMO ingredients.

Third thing, which was originally the first thing: Today, we made salsa in class. That means that I made salsa all throughout the day, either filling 25 minutes of class or unsuccessfully squeezing it into the last 7 minutes. I talked about shipping green tomatoes then ripening them with ethylene. I talked about cilantro versus coriander. I talked about how to dice an onion. Why salt makes something release its juices. I didn't realize how many trivial facts I could spin about salsa and any of its ingredients or variations. That was really fun. One kid touched my knife. That did NOT end well for him. (I just told him to never touch my knives, everyone laughed, he was shamed into submission)


No comments:

Post a Comment