Monday, October 15, 2012

Turkey Trot and Turnip Greens

Clearly, I'm not very disciplined....

This past weekend was the famous Turkey Trot Festival. Check the wikipedia page for Yellville if you're unfamiliar. I bought some root beer, a t-shirt, some CHRISTMAS GIFTS (yes I'm already getting on that train). It was slightly disappointing, because the event had been so super hyped.

I also spent a lot of the weekend driving back and forth between here and Mud Hollow Farm where I was dog sitting/house sitting. It's about twenty miles outside of town, but most of it is an unpaved road, followed by an incredibly steep gravel driveway. It took me nearly 40 minutes just to get from the house to the highway, especially considering the crazy storms we had most mornings. It was a super cute cabin in the hollow, hence the name mud hollow. They heat with wood and haul water. They're building a house up near the road, in which I would be way less likely to feel like I'm about to get axe-murdered in the wilderness by myself. I didn't get any cell reception. Wednesday night to Sunday morning, I tried my best to take care of three old dogs, two baby kitties (more on that later), and all the other munchkins and tasks that I'm responsible for. I think I did an okay job.

As for those kitties. Many of you already know, but a couple of white cats followed me home (with a small amount of help). I have appointments to get them spayed, and they hang out back by the wood shop. I bring them food everyday. I sit with them and pet them. I am not a crazy cat lady.

Yesterday, I downloaded the Seed Savers Exchange catalog, and I've been kind of obsessing about all the awesome stuff I could grow someday. It's getting me really excited about what project I'm going to do after this year. More details on that as they emerge.

I ate something for the first time last week. Turnip greens! Apparently, you can grow seeds that are specifically selected for the greens, where an enlarged root doesn't form. We planted those. So instead of waiting for a big old turnip, we get to harvest and saute greens all fall.

I did write a blog entry last week, for the FoodCorps Arkansas blog. Check it out! I will be writing once a month (way more realistic?) All four of us Arkansan FCSM will rotate weekly updates. That's a quick update on my life. I think that as the day light fades earlier, I might be more motivated to write.

PS If you didn't know, I'll be back in California November 16-23. Get excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment